I can't believe our baby girl is already a month old!!! This post could easily be entitled "You Know You're A New Mommy When...". These are just some honest, funny, and emotional bits that have jumped out at me in the past month.
That Moment When...
- You run errands without the baby only to realize that you have a pacifier still hanging from your finger.
- You later find said pacifier in your bed.
- You really can't decide which is the greatest luxury: food, sleep, or a shower?
- Your mom, husband, friends, tell you to chill out because you're trying to be Nazi OCD with a newborn's schedule.
- You just can't figure out the mystery of how to get baby socks to stay on.
- You cry the first time your mom leaves and it's just you and baby. Eek?
- You realize just how many "rules" (from books, instruction manuals, friends, nurses, etc) that you break even by the end of the first week.
- You're trying to pump, calm a fussy baby, and talk on the phone at the same time.
- You're excited that your purse has turned into an enormous, but super cute diaper bag.
- You pray over your baby's sleep habits...no, seriously!
- Mardi Gras and the Superbowl never really happened because you've been within a 5 mile radius for almost 3 weeks.
- Having meals delivered to you makes you want to cry with gratitude because you can't fathom going to the grocery, cooking dinner, and keeping another person alive and happy in the same day.
- At a midnight feeding you think, "What's that smell?" Then, you realize that it's you...maybe it's time for a shower.
- You feel triumphant the first time you do dishes or laundry.
- You look at a particular shirt/pair of pants/dress and say "I missed you!"
- You cry for no reason at all...oh wait, maybe it's because you're tired?
- You realize that the 3am feedings aren't so bad because it's a sweet time with just you and baby girl.
- Your boobs go from sexy body part to the most functional things that you possess.
- You know you're not going to be a perfect mom.
- You are astounded at how God has gifted you to do this job.
I could add many, many more and probably will at a later date. I should probably add more pictures, as well. Funny, we got this wonderful, expensive camera but most of our pictures have been snapped on our iphones. Whoops!
Our baby girl was 8lb 14oz and 21 1/2 inches at her one month visit yesterday. She's right on track with her growth and wonderfully healthy. Addison definitely inherited her daddy's appetite...she takes anywhere from 3 to 4 oz per feeding. My friend's 8 week old still takes only 2! She has really bad stomach pains that bother her sometimes, but a wonderful product called Colic Calm takes care of that very quickly! I would pay $100 a bottle for that stuff! She's a champion napper and is starting to stretch out her nighttime stints to 4-5 hours. She's starting to try to smile (on purpose, not from gas) and, bless her heart, I can tell she wants to coo and talk so bad. Momma's feeling good, other than a bruised/cracked tailbone, and Daddy is learning how to deal with less sleep. This little family of three is learning a lot, but doing well!